Friday, June 03, 2005

What the hell?

So I’m going to my friend Norm’s wedding tomorrow. Which is great and everything. I like Norm and his bride-to-be. They’re good people who deserve to be deliriously happy. It’s just that all these weddings (six in the past five years) are giving me a complex.

How are all these people hooking up, shacking up, getting married and having babies while I can’t even get a freakin’ date? Seriously. I haven’t been on a date since I broke up with my last boyfriend, which was (hang on, let me go check the calendar) oh my god, a year and a half ago.

No, wait. That’s not exactly true. I went out with this cute 25-year-old British tourist I met at the gym once last summer. He asked me to go kayaking with him. I was expecting a romantic sunset paddle but it turned out he had entered us in a kayaking race. After the gun went off, I didn’t see him again until the race was over. Then we spent the next two hours driving around Vancouver looking for a cheap restaurant he had eaten at once but had forgotten what it was called or where it was. At that point, I was so sunburned, dehydrated and tired I just wanted to go home. Alone.

The thing is, I don’t even really like dating. I’d rather stay home, watch the Trailer Park Boys on DVD, drink some tap water and call it a party. Why can’t boyfriends be like Jehovah’s Witnesses and come knocking at your door?

I do accept some responsibility for being perpetually single. I refuse to settle just so I have someone to go out with on Friday nights. That’s what friends are for.

My friend Norm, the one who’s getting married tomorrow, didn’t even have a girlfriend when we met last winter. And now look at him. I just don’t understand why it’s so easy for some people and so hard for others (okay, me) to meet decent guys in this city. I’m not whining. I’m just stating the facts. And looking for some answers.

On a somewhat related note, I’m trying out this new commenting software, which is supposed to be easier to use and manage. I’ve saved all the old comments but wasn’t able to export them to this program, unfortunately. Let me know what you think.